Thursday, January 8, 2009

Porque? Porque....

In the recent month, a lot happened. It was all actually quite enjoyable.

There was a weekend at the beach; Punta Hermosa - translating to mean the beautiful point, which is meant to be ironic, I think. The town was grungy, the water contaminated - a greenish yellow that supposedly stains the skin, unrelentingly hot, and of course, the burning South American sun - it burns through the 50 Sunblock you put on. The weekend was relaxing. It was a mini break from Lima.

Sometime after there was Christmas dinner. A Jew´s Christmas. It was announced amidst the devouring of a store bought dinner, that it was my first Christmas because I was Jewish.
A family member at the table proceeded to ask the following questions:
¨Do Jews smoke?¨
¨Well,¨ I hesitated to respond, ¨Do Peruvians smoke?¨
Also---
¨Aren´t Jews really closeminded and segregated, you know, because they like to live separate from everyone else?¨
¨No,¨I immediately said through my wine glass.
And eventually, while I was finishing a glass of wine----
¨Well, we know those Jews can drink,¨gesturing me.
No response from me for that one....

The 25th of December I headed to Cuzco for a second go thinking that I would just spend a flash of time through the New Year with some friends and head into Bolivia. This did not happen. And now I am back in Lima.

No comments: