Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mundanity

Settling into a regular routine home life in Rosario has been somewhat tougher than I thought. Maybe, after months of traveling, and not having an actual address, it may take me a while to transition. Or maybe, I just got unbelievably accostumed to the way things were and now, to actually say that I plan on being in one spot for a while, is just too much....I did toy with the idea last night of giving up the whole Rosario life and picking up today and heading to Buenos Aires to keep on traveling. And of course, I am hoping that since I didn't leave there will be some sort of positive outcome to me staying here - some kid from the neighborhood today, did try to jack me and all my belongings. So it must be written......somewhere.

Either way, Tamara did inform me that my blogs were becoming too much like a travellogue of sorts and that she wanted more dirt - so i figured I would try that out. Here's some dirt. Not much but enough to maybe keep you interested.

Finding a waitressing job here has been unbelievably tasking, which of course means that I have tried a few times and handed out my resume to various places and have not heard back once. So I am somewhat discouraged. I'm guessing this might come from the fact that previously in my life, all my jobs have been handed to me and I never had to look that hard for them. So I am unconsciously just waiting for the perfect thing to fall in my lap.

Other than the pitiful job trade, I have been writing. A novel - well, probably not. But I have been writing, getting myself into the supposed practice of writing. So I am trying to be positive about that aspect. And the dirt, well, there is none. I hate to brake it to you - Tamara, I just used my phrase. I am waiting on the whole my life is just naturally supposed to come together part - the friends, the routine, the life. As of now, the most exciting thing that happened to me was today when this 17 year old kid on a bike tried to steal my stuff and ended up grabbing and breaking all my necklaces and following me home. No worries, I yelled at him enough for trying and ended up with all my belongings- good sign! I now have to fix all my necklaces, but not so bad. Just some kid who was bored in my neighborhood and caught me at one of the deserted parts. It happens.

Everything else, I am slowly giving up to time. The job should figure itself out somehow and if it doesn't - well, I have no plan B. So I guess the whole writing thing should take up most of my time for now. Luckily I have no motivation for it and am distracting myself at a pool hall. So no dirt and some broken necklaces. It's an okay start. I did much worse in Sevilla, Spain - I showed up sick with a cold and crying to go home. At least here i have coffee in the mornings and cable. My roomate, Manu, isn't so bad either - especialy since I am not paying to live here. We seem to get along for the most part and he's pretty clean so far. So life is comfortable. Just a bit slow with sweltering heat.

Cross your fingers and hopefully I will have a job one day and actually start writing that novel I have been talking about for years. Hope you're all well. Miss you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now,you're talking! Hang in there. Change is always hard. My best advice with waitressing jobs is you have to go back to the places you apply to a few times - it's all about timing. No one looks at your resume till they find out someone's about to leave so you just have to keep reapplying hoping you hit them up at a time when they're looking. Are there any places where ex-pats hang out and you could use your bilingual skills?

As for motivation to write - don't wait for it to come. Or inspiration. Youll be waiting a year with nothing to show. Just sit down and make yourself get some sentences (make a goal of like one paragraph or something) down on the page a day. Even if they're terrible sentences. Youll be surprised how much inspiration can come after that.

I can't believe you fought off some robber. Careful! Do you hear from Flor ever?

Also, one option for next year...move in with me. think about it.

You're missing a ridiculous season of Top Chef right now. Love you!