Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In Vain

I had two interviews yesterday, which from what I can tell so far were in vain. Or maybe they were just good practice. Although they were both for waitressing positions and I am not sure the last time, that I wanted a job so badly. Pretty strange to think that after graduating New York University, I am currently crossing my fingers that I get a waitressing position. Maybe its ironic. But mostly I just feel like its a punishment. A punishment for not publishing anything, but really a punishment for not being able to finish anything I start - in terms of writing.

So oh well. Imagine: I show up in my best clothes at the Holiday Inn. A four star hotel in Rosario, Argentina. I spend a while chatting with Paulo, who is the interviewer. He asks me how I ended up in Rosario - I came for a visit and decided to stay. What I like most about Rosario - the river, the flag monument, and of course the museums. W here I am staying - I stay with my boyfriend in Tavlada. He asks me about my travels - I sum up as briefly as I my trip so far. He asks me what my parents do - a little off guard about why he want to know this, I tell him that my mother is a special ed teacher, and that my father is in promotional products - I explain here that all the pens, keychains, and tags for luggage that say the name brand Holiday Inn, are brought by my father from China to his factory in Los Angeles, and he prints the labels and sends them out to distributors. Oh, he exclaims, your father is an importer. Well, I say, not specifically. But he is the interviewer, so I let him think what he wants. He asks me what my boyfriend does and I explain that he is a historian, that he teaches at the university, and that he is an investigator for the state - bascially he has a grant from the state to finish his doctorate in argentinian history. Well, thats wonderful, Paulo comments. He then plunges into more questions about my personal life, which of course catch me off guard, and I smile an over-friendly smile to stall him as I think of a charming answer.

Evenutually, he seems pleased and asks me to wait while he gets his superior to interview me next since he has to continue with the other interviews. I stare at the wall for about 15 minutes or so and think about how fun it would be to work in the ritsy hotel and how it seems like I might get the job, since none of the other girls were asked to wait to talk to a superior nor did they spend so much time with the interviewer. Cesar, a gerente of the Holiday Inn, then comes to ask me the same personal questions, instead of asking me about my experience, why I would be good for the position, what I bring to the table, etc. I answer this time around, much more intelligibly since I have now said these answers twice. He explains how I fit the profile of what they are looking for as a waitress for their fine dining restaurant - they want young, motivated, and interesting people. But after about 20 minutes, he tells me he will talk with Paulo, and let me know. I have yet to hear back.

The second interview I had yesterday, took about ten minutes. It is for a bar in the center of the city, that has bands play and poetry readings, and gatherings of the sort. Maximilliano, my interviewer, explains the job - it will be thursday, friday, and saturday nights from 9 until 3 or 4 in the morning. I would work with one other person, and I should be prepared, since I am a Janqui (Yankee) to hear the wrath of the people. I tell him that it is a good conversation starter, so he shouldn't worry. They will pay me 8 pesos an hour and that doesnt include the measly tips that people barely leave here, especially if they are drunk. He tells me he will call me early next week and let me know, but if I don't get a call, well, its because I am not getting a call.

So like I said - in vain. I'll let you know.....just like they supposedly will......

2 comments:

snokim said...

I doubt it was in vain. Being over half way through life I think it is a series of events that take you further down your path in life. Some paths you pick, some are chosen for you, but they all lead forward. Something will happen soon.

Love
Mom

Unknown said...

It's just about timing. Keep at it. I"m sure it'll work it out! Don't get discouraged.